M.S.A.D. 75 High School Project Public Forum
On August 3, 2016, M.S.A.D. No. 75 will hold a Public Forum to discuss the Mt. Ararat High School Construction Project. The meeting will take place from 6:30 to 8 p.m. in the High School Commons. The public is invited to hear an update on construction project progress and to provide feedback concerning various projects not funded by the State of Maine.
According to Superintendent of Schools, Brad Smith, “The State of Maine will pay for the cost of state approved items. Additional features are at the cost and discretion of the District.” Options include additional local funding and fund-raising opportunities.
Unfunded projects fall into three categories; those related to athletics, academic classroom projects, and high performance building additions. Attendees will be asked to provide feedback on the projects and available funding options.
The scope and size of these projects range from ten additional classrooms for teachers at an approximate cost of $2,022,000, to a second scoreboard at the expanded gym, at an estimated price of $15,000. Each project fills a specific need for the quality education of M.S.A.D. No. 75 students.
“The Building Committee and Sub-committees have continued to meet. We are closing in on a specific scheme, and each meeting brings another refinement in placement of specific classrooms and other areas…It is so very rewarding to see visual representations of what has been conversations and ideas until now!” said Superintendent of Schools Brad Smith concerning project developments.
A list of projects by category is provided below. The cost associated with each project is very preliminary and is meant as a general indication of the estimated budget per plan.
I. Athletic Sub-committee:
· Additional gymnasium space – 5,000 s.f. $1,536,000
· Synthetic turf competition field $ 736,000
· New bleachers with press box – 500 + $65K $ 100,000
· Baseball field dugouts $ 50,000
· Baseball field scoreboard $ 30,000
· Competition field scoreboard $ 40,000
· Second scoreboard at expanded gym $ 15,000
· Concession building and spectator toilets $ 180,000
· Field sprinkler system, four (4) @ $18,000 $ 72,000
II. Academic Classroom:
· Ten (10) additional classrooms for each teacher $2,022,000
· Five (5) additional classrooms $1,011,000
· One (1) additional science room $ 330,000
· Additional 100 seats for high school Forum -
1,000 s.f. $ 275,000
· Four (4) student study alcoves, 4 @ 200 = 800 s.f. $ 275,000
· Sports bag rooms – 100 s.f. $ 41,250
· Exterior teaching aprons, 4 @ 1,000 x $15 $ 60,000
· Flat screens w/ graphic interface for energy display,
school notices, weather, etc. $ 25,000
· Digital street sign $ 25,000
III. High Performance Building:
· Geothermal and geo-exchange $ 450,000
· Solar hot water system $ 40,000
· Photovoltaic roof steel $ 30,000
· Additional commissioning $10,000-$30,000
· Additional wall insulation $ 100,000
· Additional roof insulation $ 200,000
· Triple glazed windows $ 100,000
· Emergency generator $ 120,000
· Snow melt system at five (5) major entry points $ 50,000